For the next 13-ish hours, Amazon has got some good prices on strategy board games. Here are ones I can personally recommend as being great games:
- Dixit ($17.49) – Light, fun family game, kind of like Apples To Apples but with pictures. I don’t think I’ve ever talked to anyone who doesn’t enjoy this game (or just enjoy looking at the gorgeous card art).
- Dominion: Intrigue ($24.99) and/or Dominion Big Box ($51.99) – The game which launched the deck-builder genre of games is still one of the best examples of its kind. If you ever played Magic but were frustrated by the relentless “pay to play” model, you should give this game a try. On the other hand, even if you don’t like Magic, I’d still suggest you give Dominion a shot. I played a game of it last night, and just writing about it makes me want to play again now.
- Bora Bora ($22.92) – If you’ve played Castles Of Burgundy, this is another game by the same creator (the talented Stefan Feld). If you like strategy and planning in your games, this is a good choice. It’s not super heavy, but it is deeper than the above two recommendations.
- Flash Point: Fire Rescue ($19.54) – If you’ve played Pandemic, you’ll find this game to be in the same vein. Instead of saving the world from contagion, you are trying to rescue people from a burning building. Like Pandemic, it’s a cooperative game (as in, all players are working together to win, rather than competing with each other) and can be stressful. I’ve only played it once, so I’m not as familiar with this one as the others, but if what I’ve said sounds interesting, check it out.
- Milles Bornes ($8.99) – I remember loving this car-themed card game as a kid. If you’ve got a child, take a look and see if you think they’d like it.
In addition, there were some games listed which I’ve heard good things about but not personally played. Since the prices were so good, I figured I’d list them here too:
- Five Tribes ($35.70)
- Tokaido ($22.99)
- Lost Cities: The Board Game ($29.90) – This seems to be a multi-player board game based on a favorite 2-player game of mine (Lost Cities: The Card Game — only $14.99 itself). I definitely recommend the card game, and by association, tentatively recommend the board game.